Monday, April 5, 2010

Catching Up is Hard to Do

There’s so much going on right now just thinking about it all makes my head spin. Today is the first day of Spring Break which for me means figuring out how to arrange my work schedule to accommodate my kids’ vacation schedule. Lucky for me I can set my own schedule.

I started planning for this last week to keep from feeling completely caught off guard. So between trips to the Children’s Museum, park and movies, I’ll still be working on client and personal projects. I don’t fool myself into thinking that I can continue on with my normal schedule this week. This realization alone will save me from a massive headache. I’ll be working later in the evenings.

On another note, I’ve been touching base with my accountability partner by phone five days a week for the past month now, and I must say this is one of the best business moves I’ve ever made. Since I know that when we speak she’ll be asking me whether or not I've accomplished the goals I set the day before, I’m much more conscious of my productivity during the day. I also make a list each night before closing up shop to remain focused. This might not work for everyone, but it sure works for me. The fact that she’s been a copywriter for well over 10 years and used to be a business coach certainly is an added benefit.

I've also noticed that I’m much busier this year than I was the same time last year. My income has increased substantially despite the fact that I ended a couple of steady lower-paying client relationships and even turned down a few projects. Call me crazy, but I think doing so made way for me to be available for better opportunities.

All in all, I’m grateful to be busy with client projects, and looking forward to getting caught up around here. How’s business going for you as we move into the second quarter of 2010?

2 comments:

Tammi Kibler said...

Hi Kimberly,

I am so glad to hear an accountability partner is working for you. I started with one in February, but she dropped out and I find once again I struggle to hold myself to planning and implementing daily tasks.

I trust I will find another partner soon.

Write On!

Tammi Kibler

Kimberly Ben said...

Hi Tammy,

I'm sorry to hear that you're partner didn't work out. I really hope you find another one soon.

I imagine the biggest challenge is finding someone who takes their business and being an accountability partner as seriously as you do. I say that because my partner gave me a trial period to see if we would mesh well (she'd had the same accountability partner previously for over 5 yrs).

Just recently she paid me the kindest complement saying that she appreciated my punctuality (when calling) and how serious I seem to take my business. Keep on looking - I'll be sending out positive thoughts your way!:-)

 
Designed by Lena