Monday, March 8, 2010

Finding Online Support

I learned the details about how to begin freelancing for living three years ago when I accidentally wondered into a writer’s forum. Although I was already writing for a couple of niche publications part-time, I’d always wondered how people were able to carve out a full-time living freelancing. Reading through past threads and engaging in topic discussions provided me with enough information to go for it myself.

Writers forums can be full of valuable information. New writers can seriously spend hours digging through older posts and find the answers to many of their questions about how to get started.

Writers forums are also a great way to network with writers of varying experience. You can get advice/business tips, get a heads up on community news, get feedback about an idea you’re considering or just enjoy some online socializing.

Freelancing, like any other business has its ups and downs. One day you’re on top of the world, flooded with assignments, and the next day you’re wondering whether or not you can really make this thing happen. Forums are filled with people in your shoes. They know what it’s like and can provide a unique, meaningful support and camaraderie.

One thing I like about forums is that you can find groups that cater to specific communities (e.g. fiction writers, freelancing moms, Christian writers, etc.). I’ve made a short list of forums I’ve had good experiences with.

WAHMS.com

Mediabistro.com

AbsoluteWrite.com

WritersWeekly.com


If you personally know of a forum not listed in today’s post, please share.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Kim, weren't you part of Anne Wayman's About Freelance Writing forum? She's considering reinstating that.

Totally agree. The answers are all around us.

Kimberly Ben said...

Yes I was! I'd pop in off and on, but there was some really great advice there. I hope she does bring it back.

The Kid In The Front Row said...

nice links.. cool blog!

Kimberly Ben said...

Thanks so much, Kid In The Front Row.

 
Designed by Lena