Monday, April 30, 2012

Preparing for a New Week and New Month


House hunting picks up this week where we left off. My husband is traveling out of town this weekend, so we’ve agreed to schedule appointments to see the interior of at least two that we both actually liked. Fingers crossed – I need this to be over soon…

I spent the weekend creating a very ambitious marketing plan for May, wrapping up a couple of client deadlines and pushing through an ebook project with a May 1 deadline. My business coach encouraged me to get this ebook ready for her special annual promotion of information products guide, but I may have bitten off more than I can chew here. I still need to edit and proofread the content, deal with some minor formatting issues and get the squeeze page together. I don’t want to produce something just for the sake of providing her with a product to promote, so I think I’m going to have to pass on this opportunity and spend a bit more time tightening things up so I can launch it on my own.


Finally received confirmation to start a large ghostwriting project I’d been expecting for a few months(we discussed this initially back in December 2011). That’s the way freelancing goes – sometimes projects don’t come through when you expect or may never come to fruition at all. That’s why consistent marketing is so crucial (stepping off my soapbox now…). It’s coming at a good time. As soon as the client sends the down payment, I’ll get started.

I didn’t earn as much during April as I did in March, but I expected that. Between house hunting, the ebook and some impromptu software training via one of my staple clients, I didn’t put in as much work time this month. A portion of my April payment will arrive in May because I forgot to invoice one of my client’s this month. As long as I get the payment sometime in May, I’m good.

How was freelancing for you during the month of April?

4 comments:

Lori said...

Sometimes the projects come through at the same time all the others come through. :)

Congrats on the ghostwriting project! My April was slow (expected), but I've picked up a bunch of new clients, so I think May will more than make up for it.

Good luck with the house hunting!

Kimberly Ben said...

That's great, Lori! I was sharing your convention experience with my writing accountability partner. I told her to check out your blog. Good to see your efforts paying off!

Damaria Senne said...

April was a bit slow. We had 3 long weekends here in South Africa ( one of them a 5-day weekend), so I was not very productive and many potential clients went away on holiday. It was also easy for me to be lazy and spend more time with family instead of working. But I'm fine with that, because I've done enough work to meet my end of May target and just need to focus on end of June.

Kimberly Ben said...

Oh, Damaria! A 5-day weekend sounds like heaven! So far I'm making pretty good strides toward reaching my May target, as long as I stick to my plan. Maybe I can do even better if I can stick to my marketing plan.

 
Designed by Lena