Monday, February 22, 2010

Accountability Works for Me

This weekend I actually MADE time to work on my own projects. That’s all it takes you know; making the decision to take the time to do so. I say that more for my own benefit. When I have a lot of goals I want accomplished I sometimes freeze up like a deer caught in headlights and do nothing. Those tasks seem so overwhelming that I opt to do nothing instead. Not good.

I do know that when I’m accountable to someone, I break my neck to do what’s expected. I hate letting people down when they’re counting on me. I remember signing up to work out with a good friend who also happens to be a fitness trainer. She had organized a six week boot camp session and asked for my support. Every morning for the next six weeks I dreaded going to that class, but I hated the thought of letting her down even more. The end result was I completed the class more fit and toned than when I’d started.

I’m a natural as a service provider because I’ll do what it takes to get a client’s project complete. But I don’t always work like that when it comes to my own projects, even though I know I’ll benefit tremendously from the effort.

I’ve decided to partner with another freelancer with goals similar to mine so that we can encourage one another to stay on track and meet our goals – an accountability partner if you will. I’m so envious of writers who can focus on their personal goals without these crutches. I’m working on it. For now I’ll utilize the resources I need to follow through.


4 comments:

Lori said...

LOVE accountability! It's why I put up my monthly assessments in public - I have to answer to someone or I'd be sitting on my thumbs going "duhhhh" all day.

The motivation of saving face or of helping someone else is sometimes enough to get us off our duffs.

Kimberly Ben said...

Lori said: "The motivation of saving face or of helping someone else is sometimes enough to get us off our duffs."

Yes, that's it in a nutshell!

Cheryl B said...

Well said! I really needed this. My own projects are WAY down on the list right now. You may look at an accountability partner as a crutch -- I call it doing what you have to do to make it happen.

Thanks.

Kimberly Ben said...

Thanks Cheryl B. My projects need to take better priority than they do currently, but I'm getting there!

 
Designed by Lena