Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Your Writer Resume

While trolling the job boards looking for a few good leads, I’ve noticed quite a few ads requesting resumes from potential writers. This seems to throw some writers for a loop. You expect a prospect to want to see your online portfolio (you do have one, right?) as proof of your writing skills, so you may wonder why a resume is even necessary.


Corporate state of mind

One of my biggest first clients was very new to the concept of working with a freelancer. We got along well and he appreciated the work I did, but he operated his business the same as he always had in the corporate world. Some of the systems used to operate a traditional business with employees don’t work as smoothly when you’re operating a virtual business using contract writers.

He required that I send him a resume because in his mind it outlined my qualifications much better than sending a sample to my work would. He felt that by having one I automatically established myself as professional. He also paid attention to how long I had worked with clients and related jobs to determine whether I was employable and reliable. He also happened to require a college degree so that info was there to review as well.

Traditional resume versus writer’s resume

The thing that distinguishes a writer’s resume from the typical job seeker’s resume is that it is meant to highlight specific experience more than provide details of your work history.

If you don’t have a current resume and need some help, here is some helpful information to get you started. I’d love to hear how many other freelancers regularly submit resumes for gigs.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Good post, Kim. What I find interesting is your client's insistence on length of time with other clients. We're not a long-term group. He was going to be disappointed. :)

My stepson needed to do the opposite transition recently. He went from actor's resume (line items of plays and roles) to a teaching resume. Lucky for him I do this type of writing every day. :)) There are distinct differences in each profession and each industry. The resume I write for the PhD today is totally different from the one I write for the consultant tomorrow.

I have a more traditional resume on hand for some clients, but I have my line-item resume for those who care to see the entire background without the details.

Kimberly Ben said...

Lori, I don't write resumes for others, but have certainly considered it after hearing from other writers how lucrative it can be given the current market.

 
Designed by Lena